Sunday, February 20, 2011

Blaise Taggart's Pre-Combine Top 5 QB's, RB's, WR's in the 2011 NFL Draft

This is the first publishing of Blaise Taggart's top 5 quarterbacks, runningbacks, and wide receivers for the 2011 NFL Draft. After the NFL Combine, I will publish an updated version of each of the lists.

Top 5 QB
1. Cam Newton, Auburn
2. Ryan Mallet, Arkansas
3. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
4. Andy Dalton, TCU
5. Colin Kaepernick, Nevada

Quick Overview: Some people thought I was crazy when I said I had Cam Newton as my second overall quarterback right after the season concluded. Newton was second to Andrew Luck, who ultimately decided to stay another year at Stanford. After Newton's public workout, many people have elevated him to the top quarterback spot where I already had him. I am anxiously awaiting to see what Gabbert does at the NFL Combine. I am a huge fan of Mallet. At 6'7, Mallet has the frame and arm to be a great quarterback, although he does need to work on his footwork, but his arm strength makes up for the lack of footwork. Dalton is in my top 5, which you will not see in many other's top 5. Dalton's accuracy has caught my eye, and as everyone knows, he was a winner at TCU in college. An Kaepernick is such a great athlete, and he is also intelligent. With NFL coaching, he could become a solid NFL quarterback.

Top 5 RB
1. Mark Ingram, Alabama
2. Mikel Leshoure, Illinois
3. Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
4. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State
5. Dion Lewis, Pittsburgh

Quick Overview: This list might change after the combine. Ingram is a great running back that makes great plays. His Heisman trophy just shows what kind of player he is. Leshoure reminds me of another Illinois runningback, Rashard Mendenhall. Williams has the most upside out of anyone on this list. He tore up the ACC, and has the athletic ability to be an all-pro in the NFL. Thomas is your prototypical NFL sized, explosive back who could climb up my top 5 runningbacks chart as the pre-draft process continues. Dion Lewis reminds me of MJD and Ray Rice. Lewis, who I have seen in person many times, is the most underrated runningback in this draft. His low center of gravity propels him to be successful in the NFL.

Top 5 WR
1. Julio Jones, Alabama
2. A.J. Green, Georgia
3. Jon Baldwin, Pittsburgh
4. Austin Pettis, Boise State
5. Greg Little, North Carolina

Quick Overview: People will go into shock when they read my top 5 wide receiver list. I believe that Julio Jones will be a better professional wide receiver than A.J. Green. You can quote me on that and talk to me in three years. Green has great athletic measurables, but I think that Julio Jones is such a rare combination of size and speed, and he knows how to win. Jones was the number 1 receiver coming out of high school, and I believe that is still the case. Baldwin is also a great combination of size and speed. I played Baldwin in high school, and he is quite the athlete. If he improves his route running ability, he could be just as good as Jones and Green in the NFL. Pettis is higher on my list then many other expert's lists but I believe he is solid wide out. His hands are one of the best pairs in the draft. Little is just like another UNC player, Hakeem Nicks, and Nicks has worked out in the NFL thus far.

1 comment:

  1. What? No Bearcats? Blasphemy! Way to not Rep the C Blaise... Geeze

    ReplyDelete