Sunday, January 16, 2011

One Hell of a Weekend

This. Is. Why. Parody. Exists. I'm not only talking about this weekend, but this weekend exemplified why it exists. I think parody is good for sports, for any type of sports fan and it makes the game worth playing. First thing that started the weekend of parody and excitement is the Los Angeles Clippers beating the Miami Heat. Maybe it's me being a Cavaliers fan that I enjoyed this as much or maybe even more than the average Clippers fan, but I digress. You have a young team in the Clippers, who are playing their heart out in a David and Goliath game. Granted it's the middle of the season and the game isn't going to define either team's season. But the Heat have since lost two more games in a row, and the Clippers are currently riding a four game win streak. Something like a win against a big team could in the long run go a long way for the Clippers with this confidence builder, as well as developing a little swag. Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, and Eric Bledsoe are going to be in this league for years to come and if they stay together, the Clippers can turn into the caliber of team the Oklahoma City Thunder now are.

Now onto the NFL playoffs. Hard to believe but some parody has already happened. Usually parody isn't as strong come playoff time, but when a 7-9 team beats the defending Super Bowl champions as a heavy under dog, I'd have to say that's a bit of parody. As expected, the Seahawks cinderella story ended today in a big defeat, but good for them to prove to the world them being in the playoffs wasn't as big a fluke as everyone thought. This is what the NFL is all about. The Jets got absolutely embarrassed by the Pats on national television just a few weeks prior, and with all the jawing from both teams, you just had to assume another blowout loss at the hands of the Pats. Well that didn't exactly go as planned for the Patriots, and the Jets backed up their talk, and saved Rex Ryan several months of public humiliation and being criticized as well. The Packers are probably the team you least want to face if you're a head coach in the playoffs. The Packers offense at this point is resembling the offense the Patriots displayed throughout the regular season, it's crazy how efficient and seemingly effortless their offense runs. As of now, my ideal Super Bowl would be the Jets vs. Packers, and the possibility of that happening is not out of the question, but I just think the Steelers are a winning franchise and will pull this out like they always do.

On the topic of the Steelers, it brings me to my next point. Call me a bad Browns fan if you want, but I would like to first say that the Steelers are the absolute definition of a franchise. As much as it pains me to say it as a die hard Cleveland fan, I think I'm just as much a realist and I know when I see a team that knows how to constantly win. If the Browns want success sooner rather than later, they should model it after the Steelers. I hate saying all this but it's not like the Steelers are a team full of superstars (like my favorite team down south, cough cough), but they have disciplined coaching, a great front office, and players that want to be the absolute best they can.

I'll end this post by saying the following: I. Love. Sports.

Remember, sports make the world go round folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment