Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How much worse can things get?

As I stared in astonishment at the highlights being shown, my mind couldn't stop asking the same question: how did things go so wrong? I'm talking about another disappointing showing by the Cleveland Cavaliers. It's really tough to watch being a die hard Cavs fan, especially after what happened to the whole city this past summer. Granted, I don't think anybody in Cleveland expected another year of making the playoffs, but then again I don't think anyone would have expected it to be this painful, I know I sure didn't.

There's something that comes along with being a Cleveland sports fan: disappointment. Yet, we still thrive off that little bit of hope at the beginning of every single season. From my standpoint, I think Cleveland fans are some of the toughest fans out there. Browns fans are absolutely tremendous, selling out all the home games even though year after year they continue to let us down. But like I said, there's always that little glimmer of hope in every fan's heart. I wouldn't trade that feeling for the world.

So as I sit here thinking about Mr. Dan Gilbert's promise and guarantee to the fans of Cleveland, I wonder, when are you going to follow through Dan? I know with a record of 8-37 you aren't really poised to make any drastic moves, but please throw us a bone. In my short lifetime, I have experienced far too much disappointment, teasing, and just straight up embarrassment than any other 19-year old sports fan should.

There's just a different feeling being a Cleveland sports fan, never knowing what's going to happen with your team this year, when, if ever, will Cleveland catch a break, and just the pure thrill and high of when the Indians, Cavs, or Browns are succeeding, and how much we deserve it and yearn for it.

This is why I am damn proud to be a fan of my city, Cleveland, Ohio.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Mac. Try being a 40+ year fan and living the disappointments; the drive, the fumble, the shot, the decision and last but not least - 2 outs bottom of 9th Mesa! It's what makes us fans knowing what we could have had and wanting it again - but next time all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blaise knows I'm a huge Florida Marlins fan, so I'm responsible for part of your heartaches.

    But I also feel for you in an odd kind of way. As a Mark Martin fan I've seen the 52-year-old from Batesville, Ark., go through the absolute worst things and come out with a smile on his face. The 2007 Daytona 500 was the biggest screw job in the history of NASCAR, right up there with the 46-point penalty for using a legitimate piece of equipment, in 1990 and Mark lost the Winston Cup by 23 points to Dale Earnhardt Sr.

    As a Mark Martin fan I've learned that it's not always the championships that define a man or his fans. Mark Martin has more class than any one in the sport, and that's what we fans take away from Mark Martin.

    Just ask Blaise about my NASCAR obsession.

    ReplyDelete